Saturday, August 20, 2011

When in Honolulu, beware of Cops... Because the worst crime is faking it!

continued from the previous post...

So kind-of pissed, I took the metro and then caught the suburban train to take me to my home just outside the city. Since it was to be a 45 minute journey and I was acutely sleep-deprived,
I dozed off…

In my dream, I saw two tall African guys shaking me violently and speaking in Honolulu-ian, “Idiot, the train is standing in the yard, and this ain’t another of your dreams you lazy oriental prick”. Ah okay, so I try to expand my eyeballs like a lemur and begin to identify two hostile dark faces against a completely dark background, and realize that what they said in Honolulu-ian was indeed true.

I think I thanked them for their courtesy, got outside the train and ran away – but where? The yard was huge, and after tracing several paths through the quasi-labyrinth, I arrived at a gate which was locked. A few maneuvers here and there, and I was able to jump out of the yard. There I saw the board – Saint Remy de Chevreuse, which is the terminating point of the RER-B line, 5 stations beyond my place! Left alone at 3 am in a deserted suburb, I felt I should have stayed inside till daybreak...

And then, Murphy never disappoints you, so, here he was back again, in a Police vehicle!

Some guard had probably seen me jumping over the gate and had alerted a police patrol nearby (I guess). I was brashly ordered to stop and freeze and I sheepishly complied – well what else could one do? The cops got hold of me, pushed me against a wall with my back facing them and kind-of tried to neutralize me. I was already feeling like a criminal, but it was more amusing than scary since I was almost sleep-walking due to fatigue. Thankfully, they were polite and one of them spoke English. After routine searches and checks – weapons (I had a Swiss knife), passport, visa and whatever, I was somehow able to convince them of the comedy of errors that had occurred, and they were gracious enough to drop me near my place. HUH!

So, after the whole drama and nightmare (the prospects had seemed really bleak and nightmarish when I was forced against the wall like a thug), I got side my home just before the dawn and slept for 24 hours, like the IIT dogs :P

Incidentally, as I realized later, they speak English in Honolulu…

2 comments:

Novocaine said...

Ha Ha. Fundoo!

You're bound to get into such nightmares if you travel far too much :)

The Born Traveller said...

yeah, it did give me goosebumps at that time!

And Nightmares resulting from excessive travelling - that's a sacrilege I would tolerate, and so would you I'm sure! :D